Looking for a Chicago Buyer’s Agent to guide you through the home buying process? Whether you’re a first-time home buyer; an empty nester, or looking to upgrade from your current home, finding the best agent to work with can be an overwhelming process.
You might have heard of buyer's agents, seller's agents, listing agents, and so on. You're a buyer, so what is a buyer's agent? True to their name, buyer's agents assist home buyers every step of the way; they can also save you tons of time and money on the road to homeownership.
To help you during your journey, I've pulled together everything you need to know when selecting a buyer’s agent for your next purchase.
What is a buyer's agent?
The home buying process is something best navigated with a trusted professional by your side. Your buyer’s agent (aka, realtor) will guide you every step of the way–from helping your narrow down a long list of possible neighborhoods to the one that is a best fit for you; to scouting out the perfect properties, to making certain that the transaction goes smoothly.
He will help you negotiate the best deal possible so that you can feel comfortable and achieve the best possible outcome. They also know each of Chicago's neighborhoods and will help you decide which is the best fit for you and your family. Once you’ve found your dream home, he'll guide you through the inspection, attorney review and mortgage approval process, and communicate at every step so that you are in the driver seat.
They are not only your consultant but they orchestrate all the moving parts in the transaction to make sure every professional does their job and meets their deadlines. A good agent will help ensure that you close on time and will allow you to focus on the fun part of buying a home.
Do I have to pay a buyer's agent a commission?
In Chicago the seller pays both the seller's agent and buyer's agent's commission. This means that using a buyers agent has no cost to you. When a listing agreement is signed by the seller, the commission for both brokers is agreed upon. Roughly half of the commission is paid the the seller's agent and half to the buyer's agent. This amount is predetermined so you will not get a "discount" for not using a buyer's agent.
My brother’s best friend is a realtor – shouldn’t I just go with him?
Do your homework! Not all realtors are created equal. Having a qualified realtor will give you the edge when working in a highly competitive market like Chicago. Also, experience matters so make sure that that your realtor has the knowledge and experience you need to get the property you want. Not all realtors have relationships with contractors, lenders, designers, etc. So make sure your realtor can help you throughout the process.
You should also consider the availability of your realtor. Will he or she call you if they learn of a counter offer at 10 pm? If you find your new home online and need to set up a showing, how quickly can you get a hold of them? These are all questions you should ask any of the realtors you are interviewing.
Does it matter what brokerage my buyer’s agent belongs to?
This is something that many buyers don’t consider, but should! There are many perks to working with an agent that belongs to a well-respected brokerage firm, such as @Properties, the #1 brokerage firm in Chicago! He will have a lot more resources at his disposal, including pocket listings (properties that are not yet on the market) and a trusted network of support staff and peers to make certain the home buying process is as smooth as it can be to get you to the closing table.
what are the benefits of using a buyers agent?
- Find the right property.
- After we've sat down to discuss your needs and your budget, I will schedule appointments to show homes that fit your needs. I pre-screen all the properties that are sent to you to make sure I make the best use of your time. We will discuss the pros and cons of various properties and neighborhoods to help you decide which home is right for you.
- Negotiate the offer.
- I have a proven process to help you secure the best price and terms for your new home. This is arguably the most important reason to use a buyer's agent. This process includes performing a full market analysis with comparable properties. It also includes writing a letter to the current home owner to help humanize our offer. This process has helped my clients win deals even when they aren't the highest offer in a multiple offer situation. This is where the agent's experience in negotiating can save you money and help you avoid pitfalls like a fixer-upper that's more trouble than it's worth.
- Recommend other professionals.
- A buyer's agent should also be able to refer you to reliable mortgage brokers, real estate attorneys, home inspectors, movers, and more. This can also help expedite each step of the process and move you to a successful sale all the faster.
- Help overcome setbacks.
- If the home inspector's report or appraisal brings new issues to light, a buyer's agent can advise you on how to proceed. If negotiations become heated or hostile, it's extremely helpful to have an experienced professional keeping calm and offering productive solutions.
What are the next steps?
If you’re actively searching for a buyer’s agent in Chicago I would be honored to help you. You can see by my Zillow Testimonials that my past clients have had great experiences working with me. I pride myself on working on the difficult parts of the transaction so that you can focus on the fun part of buying a home.
Selecting a realtor to be your advocate and trusted advisor is an important decision. Feel free to email me, call me at 702-528-2267, or fill out the form below. Good luck with your search and I look forward to working with you!